Friday 8 November 2013

£7 Food Challenge Day 3: Curry to Combat Friday Night Bus-Fail



Hello Peeps. Bit of a fail on efforts to keep money in my purse as Stagecoach buses couldn't get me home. After waiting the best part of an hour in Milton Keynes for my bus, then the bus after that, I got a glimmer of hope when I saw the golden bus drive come the road - and skip the bus station. That meant it would be another half hour wait at least, and then a long journey home in what I knew would be heavy traffic. I finish work at 5 - I wouldn't have got home until 8. So £8.50 for a single ticket was flensed from me and dripped in sacrificial offering down the slots of the  London Midland trains ticket machines. That really hurt. At least the train was on time.

I read the free copy of Evening Standard on the way home. I promised I would scrape my brain later, but I've probably left it too late as I realised the film My Sister's Keeper is on now and I quite fancy watching it.

To cheer myself up though, I thought I'd pop into the museum on the way home to see the Private View of the Northampton Town and County Art Society 100th Annual Show. This is from the promotional leaflet.
There are some fantastic pieces on display - some for sale, others not. Pictures include portraits of Alan Moore and Jim Tom Say!

I really enjoyed the exhibition, but besides the lovely Haneke, there weren't too many people there I knew, and it really was busy, so I finished my wine (free wine, free wine) and left before the presentations.


The exhibition runs until 5th January 2014.



So home alone, I decided to give myself a Friday night treat - a most inauthentic chick pea curry with coconut rice.

It's a skinny curry, made without using oil. Sorry!


I dry-fried onion, garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin and garam masala - and some madras powder to cheat (about a tsp of each spice) - then added some grated carrot when the onions had softened, and when they had also softened, a lonely mushroom. To that, half a tin of chickpeas (okay, 2/3 - greedy) and half a tin of plum tomatoes, mashing while stirring. Boil, then simmer. Meanwhile, for the rice add a dessert spoon of coconut powder (brilliant stuff - bought a huge box for 35p in Home Bargains) to 55g rice, cover with cold salted water to about 2cm above the top, cover and bring to boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.

Sprinkle the finished thing with coriander leaf to look pretty. Shove in gob.

Right, let's kick back and watch this girly film then. And let’s have a proper hot chocolate  - with marshmallows!

Shopping - Today £0. Total so far: £5.09.


No comments:

Post a Comment